The Sisters of Charity of New York are seeking a Recreation Therapist at Mount Saint Vincent Convent, a 60-room retirement home in Bronx, N.Y. The Convent provides assisted living services to retired sisters of the congregation.
The Recreation Therapist will provide high-quality individual and group recreation services to the sisters residing at Mount Saint Vincent Convent.The Recreation Therapist will primarily attend to the needs of sisters who are at various levels of cognitive decline and will do so with respect, compassion, and kindness. The Recreation Therapist will also provide activities to improve or maintain the mobility, functional status, and quality of life for all the sisters.
The coordinator will work to improve or maintain the mobility, functional status and enhance the quality of life for the sisters.
The ideal candidate will have experience in assisted living, be well organized with excellent communication skills, and have familiarity and true enjoyment from working with the needs of the infirm and the elderly.
- Designs and implements a comprehensive program for sisters with advanced cognitive impairment that promotes cognitive functioning, while also sparking meaningful moments of joy and contentment.
- Assists in developing and maintaining the recreational budget.
- Designs and schedules a monthly calendar of purposeful activities and exercises with the goal of keeping residents engaged, especially Sisters with varying levels of cognitive impairment and others identified as being at risk for social isolation and depression.
- Plans, implements, and supervises individual and group recreation activities, both therapeutic and general.
- Engages new residents and determines their interests, while helping them to feel valued and at ease.
- Provides training and oversight of staff/volunteers assisting with these programs.
- Documents progress notes timely and maintains group and individual attendance records.
- Prepares individual participation reports indicating the type and frequency of activities.
- Attends weekly interdisciplinary team meetings and makes recommendations for physical and mental wellness plans.
- Maintains a safe environment for staff and sisters during therapeutic recreation activities.
- Maintains the inventory of supplies and notifies the supervisor when new supplies are needed.
- Arranges transport of sisters to and from therapeutic activities as needed.
- Plans and attends program outings, when necessary.
- Participates in seasonal festivities and parties.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Commitment to the Mission, history, and values of the Sisters of Charity and to the elderly.
- Bachelor of Science in psychology, or therapeutic recreation, or in a related field with an emphasis in geriatrics.
- Certified by the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC), preferred.
- Must have a working knowledge of the methods of recreational therapy or activity programming to meet the needs of residents with dementia.
- Minimum of 5 years of recreation experience working with the elderly in a healthcare setting.
- Must have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other technologies including the use of laptops, smart TV, FaceTime, and other virtual presentations.
- Excellent in communication, organization, planning, and ability to maintain a high level of discretion with confidential information.
- Be self-directed; have strong organizational and planning skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member.
Be able to walk, bend, reach and lift constantly during the day and participate in sustained activity for hours in duration. Be able to move chairs as needed for group activities; able to move tables with assistance. Be able to perform with numerous interruptions and be able to withstand the pressure of time and responsibility. Deal with a variety of personalities in a tactful and professional manner while meeting deadlines and other assignments.
Please send resumes to Sharon Dosin, Director of Human Resources at email@example.com