National Catholic Sisters WeekAs we celebrate National Catholic Sisters Week, we honor the Sisters whose shoulders we stand on, who worked tirelessly with the Archdiocese and Catholic laity to serve the people of New York and beyond. Elizabeth Ann Seton’s final words to her sisters urged them to be united, to be faithful, and to be daughters of the church. The Sisters of Charity treasure these words as her legacy to us and to the Church of New York.

Mother Mary Angela HugesSister Mary Angela Hughes, SC, was elected on December 8, 1855, and served as Mother General until 1861. She was reserved and gentle in speech and manner. Upon her fell the task of finding a new home for the New York community after the original motherhouse property was claimed by the city for the future Central Park. In addition to this responsibility, the six years of her administration were marked by an expansion of the community’s work in social work and education. Mother Angela was the biological sister of Archbishop John Hughes, a longtime protégé of the Sisters of Charity in Emmitsburg, Maryland, and the fourth shepherd of the Church in New York.

Missions During Mother Angela’s Leadership

1855: St. Joseph’s School, Greenwich Village
1855: St. Mary Star of the Sea School, Brooklyn
1855: St. Peter’s Academy, Staten Island

1856: St. Joseph’s Academy, Manhattan
1856: St. James School, Manhattan
1856: St. Brigid’s School, Manhattan
1856: St. Brigid’s Academy, Manhattan
1856: Transfiguration School, Manhattan

The new motherhouse and Academy of Mount Saint Vincent opened in the Riverdale section of the Bronx in 1859.

1857: Holy Cross Industrial School, Manhattan
1857: St. Mary’s School, Yonkers

1858: Holy Cross Academy, Manhattan
1858: Holy Cross School, Manhattan

1859: St. Columba’s School, Manhattan
1859: Sisters move to new motherhouse in Riverdale

1860: St. Peter’s School, Poughkeepsie
1860: St. Gabriel’s Academy, Manhattan
1860: St. Gabriel’s School, Manhattan

%d bloggers like this: