The Sisters of Charity of New York are seeking a full time Nursing Attendant at Mount Saint Vincent Convent, a 60-room retirement home in Bronx, N.Y., to work 11pm to 7am. The Convent provides assisted living services to retired sisters of the congregation.
The Nursing Attendant acts as a member of the care team and provides direct patient care to residents of the Convent. The Attendant is responsible to ensure the personal and physical needs and comfort of the residents are promptly cared for and carry out all patient care assignments as directed by the Director of Nursing.
- Assist sisters with daily hygiene and personal care needs, including but not limited to bathing, grooming, oral health, skin and nail care, dressing and toileting.
- Obtain and record sisters’ vital signs, temperature and weight and report anything unusual to Director of Nursing.
- Notify Director of Nursing of any observable change in sisters’ condition.
- Assist sisters with ambulation and other exercise depending on individual capability.
- Respond to call bells promptly.
- Assist with achieving sister’s nutritional needs and plate and deliver meals and remove meal trays, when needed.
- Preform procedures and treatments, including but not limited to simple dressing changes, EKG’s, hot / cold packs, respiratory care and prep for diagnostic procedures.
- Assemble oxygen tanks and monitor equipment.
- Ensure beds are in appropriate position, always locked, side rails up and needed items are within sister’s reach.
- Interact with Sisters who are at various levels of cognition, with respect, compassion and kindness to enhance quality of life for the Sisters.
- Accompany sisters to doctor appointments and/or emergency room, when requested.
- Maintain a clean, orderly environment; change linen, make beds, straighten rooms, put away laundry, assist with moving a sister within the convent.
- Assist in inventory of supplies and equipment to ensure availability and maintain sufficient levels.
- Returns to the unit promptly in case of an emergency, fire or disaster and reports to person in charge.
- Contribute to and maintain an atmosphere of warmth, respect and a calm environment throughout the convent.
- Perform all job responsibilities in accordance with safety procedures and infection control procedures.
- Stays available and accessible when on duty.
- Attends and participates in required meetings and/or in-service training.
- Maintains harmonious relationship with unit and co-workers, providing support and assistance to co-workers to ensure quality resident care.
Skills and Qualifications
- Commitment to the Mission of the Sisters of Charity and to the elderly.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in geriatric nursing care.
- Certified Nursing Assistant Certificate in current and good standing with the NYS Registry, preferred.
- Ability to work effectively as a team member.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and corresponding safety precautions necessary for the safer performance of assigned duties.
- Ability to work a rotating work schedule that includes weekends.
Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org