The Sisters of Charity Housing Development Corporation (SCHDC) is seeking a full time Case Coordinator at Vincent’s Village Apartments. SCHDC is a not-for-profit organization established in 1986 to provide affordable and supportive housing in New York. It is a sponsored ministry of the Sisters of Charity of New York, who have been serving New York’s most vulnerable residents since 1817. 100% of the units within SCHDC’s portfolio are affordable housing units, serving the elderly, special needs populations, homeless and formerly homeless.
We are looking for a Social Worker with a BSW, MSW preferred, with case management experience who is knowledgeable about intimate partner violence, working with older adults, can navigate entitlements to promote client self-sufficiency. Our goal is helping those residents who have experienced physical, emotional, or other forms of abuse to establish long-term safety and heal from the effects of trauma while remaining stably housed. Our goal for our older adult population is to promote health & wellness and support them in aging in place safely.
You will have the opportunity to work directly with residents who need a variety of support services. This program provides stable and affordable housing while also providing case management services and linkages that promote the safety, economic stability, wellbeing, self- sufficiency, non-violent relationship choices and addresses social/emotional needs of our residents. To be successful in this role we are looking for self-starters who enjoy meeting and engaging with new and diverse groups of people. This position is office-based with some community-based work.
- Coordinate all social services for residents.
- Provide crisis intervention, safety planning, and short-term counseling for survivors of domestic violence.
- Provide case management, benefits assistance, provide links to legal advocacy, emergency financial assistance, primary and behavioral health care in the community.
- Create and maintain residents’ files.
- Conduct initial intake or assessment of residents and periodic reassessments.
- Assist in identifying strengths, needs, abilities, and goals and create related client centered Service Plans.
- Work with residents to break through barriers to tenant goals and to assist tenants in advocating for themselves and in moving toward self-sufficiency.
- Recommend and implement strategies to motivate residents to participate more fully in this process.
- Monitor residents’ progress toward their goals via regularly scheduled meetings and documentation via service logs.
- Follow up with residents on referrals made to community resources (including vocational resources, counseling, medical clinics, support groups, etc.)
- Motivate residents to develop skills needed to maintain housing.
- Assist and encourage individuals to develop natural supports and include these supports in residents related meetings when relevant.
- Facilitate groups if requested in areas including but not limited to wellness, financial literacy, safety, maintaining housing stability, employment and education, relationships, household management and healthy decision making.
- Ability to work with residents, families, and staff in a caring and respectful manner, and with due understanding of and consideration for cultural differences.
- Provide escort to residents throughout the community when indicated.
- Immediately reports incidents or sensitive situations to supervisors.
- Attend staff meetings, supervision and trainings as required.
- Any other duties as may be assigned.
- Commitment to the Mission of the Sisters of Charity and willingness to support their mission to the underserved.
- Bachelor’s in social work required, MSW or LMHC preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years related employment history including experience working with elderly and Medicaid recipients.
- Experience working with survivors of intimate partner violence.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Must be a team player who is flexible, open to feedback and creative problem solver.
- Must possess sensitivity, tact, and resourcefulness. Eager to assist tenants in a nonjudgmental, empathetic, and compassionate manner.
- Ability to work a rotating work schedule that may include weekends and holidays.
- Must have working knowledge of a Microsoft Office Suite.
- Bilingual (Spanish) a plus.
- Valid NYS driver’s license
Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.